Siostra Edgren posted this picture on Instagram - we had read about Poland's storks before Raquel left.
Here are some interesting facts:
- 25% of 325,000+ of Europe's white storks return to Poland each spring when returning from wintering in Africa.
- White storks are about 3 ft. tall with long red legs, a straight red bill and black wing feathers.
- Nearly 41,000 "couples" of the 160,000 world wide breed in Poland - therefore the saying is "every fourth stork is Polish."
- Storks stay with one mate for the breeding season.
- The female usually lays 3-5 eggs and both the male and female incubate the eggs.
- They can live up to 30 years.
- Nest are huge - up to 6 ft wide and 9 ft deep!
|(Photo cred: Siostra Edgren)|
|(This image is from Radio Poland's website.)|